outback and error events [RE-wrenches]

Keith Cronin kcronin at islandenergy.net
Sun Jun 11 13:41:05 PDT 2006

Hello folks

We installed a 5.2kW PV system with 2-3048's and 8-8D's on a home, grid
tied, last year. This is fed into their main 100 amp house panel. They have
gas for all of their appliances and they are net energy exporters (hoorah!)

At 8:30 last night, I got the call the system was down. They couldn't
understand what was happening, but I reminded them of the bypass, so they
could isolate the situation and go to bed. (and continue the party).

Well, this mornings' summary with the client on the phone, left a few areas
in question. It turns out, they had a small gathering, and it seems one of
the guests, turned on a switch, that went to a future wire outside for
landscape lighting, that was not "safed" off, or a gecko ran across it and
that was the start of the situation.

It tripped a single, 20 amp breaker, which sent the system into a tailspin.
Inverter #1 popped up on the mate as "inverter #1 shorted", and "battery
voltage high". They system was oscillating and the lights were going on and
off every 10 seconds or so, then every 1-2 seconds.

Why the high battery voltage? The shorted error message makes sense..

Could I get some feedback on this scenario, and ways to prevent this from
happening, from a design standpoint as well as a troubleshooting guide for
clients?

Thanks

Keith Cronin
President