Earth Flatulence Power (EFP) [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Tue May 23 18:38:40 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Jeff,

You are right about "needing to know what you've got before you can do
anything else". If your client had his well drilled by a local professional,
I'd start with the driller. He's quite likely to know of others in the area.
I'll bet you're going to find out that this is common, has been known about
for over a hundred years, and doesn't have much real or commercial value.
Especially if he's near Kelseyville or Upper Lake.

The second best place to start is with a local Geo-Tech Engineering firm for
advice regarding sample testing, local knowledge, potential regulations,
etc.  Another possibility is to call up a local Propane company and ask
them. I'd do some phone-work and check a few different sources to get a feel
for what is going to be involved. Stick with the locals for the best results
and least amount of wasted time and $.

If your client decides to go the route of having it quantified, expect to
spend at least a couple of thousand bucks having it tested.... And that's
only if he can avoid regulatory "containment" and "reporting" stuff. I'd go
with the "Aw shucks" routine and see if any of the above can shed some
light.

Based on my limited experience with Earth Farts, I do know that the actual
composition of the gas varies wildly. Besides "BTU" value, there are also
significant levels of "unfriendly" ingredients in most cases... Silane, CO2,
& Sulphur are common. The actual content mix is mostly determined by the
origin... I.E. Dead dinosaurs or an old landfill? (For the record, my
personal experience is first and second-hand with my dad and involves 83
landfills and a handful of "seeps". Long before Solar took over my soul.)

This stuff might be natural but it ain't renewable. A starter "rule of
thumb" is a max of 40% "burnable" content... The rest is bad ju-ju. When you
burn the "raw" stuff, it gets really ugly from an environmental perspective.
Besides a really high soot/carbon count, you get into caustics, CO's, NOX's,
and other things that I hope none of us wants to be spitting out of our
tailpipes, let alone our stoves or hot-tub heaters. (Hint: I'd bet your
flare isn't anything close to blue.) Even a modestly "responsible"
combustion/emmission-control setup will become quite expensive. Forget
"responsible" altogether and the minimum you have to do is make everything
in the combustion and exhaust cycles out of hi-grade stainless or else it
rots immediately.

The "natural gas" that comes from PG&E and other suppliers is far from
"natural" for a reason. It is scrubbed, refined, and compressed before it
gets to the pipeline. Then they add odor.

I've got to admit that, when I read your first post, I heard a cash register
ringing for a minute. I'm an old hillbilly after all, and have had my share
of Ellie-Mae Clampitt dreams over the years.

When I thought about it past that, I realized that, if it were my property,
I'd have to "plug the hole" and swear never to tell a soul for my own moral
reasons. Hopefully the aquifer hasn't been contaminated. Not everybody is
going to believe that and even less people would do the same, by my
estimate. Nevertheless it is the truth.

For the sake of "knowing", it's worth going through the exercise. I know
that I'd personally be interested in finding out what the results and
his/your experience turn out to be. I'm sure your client is at least a
little bit excited and could very well be hearing the sound of a cash
register, too. In the end, I hope he goes with the PV.

Pray for Sun!

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute
mlafferty at universalenergies.com
(415) 252-0343 Phone
(916) 914-2247 Fax

See the hottest games before your friends! Sign up with Ubisoft,
and you'll get access to exclusive game news, contests, promotions,
community forums, and more. It's easy, free, and secure.
http://click.topica.com/caaePuxbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Ubisoft

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com