More on battery management [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Larson solarwrench at asis.com
Tue May 9 08:20:22 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Hi Windy and all.  Thanks for sharing your battery wisdom.

My questions mostly center around the batteries I install and am looking
to maintain/coach the customer to maintain. They all start in new
condition, I check voltage and sg on installation.

I have one pack of Deka L-16 that came with one cell bad.  Returned that
bat and have been monitoring the rest.  Customer took me too serious
about keeping the batteries watered, and overwatered.  Bats equalized
with some electrolyte spirting out 3 or 4 times, (over 6 months).  Then
sg is low in all, even at full charge.  I jumped to the conclusion that
electrolyte is weak, but on investigation gathered that is difficult to
do.  Cells continue to be low and somewhat uneven after a year of use.
Customer doesn't dip far into the pack, ususally only 10%, and reaches
down to 48.5 on occasion , maybe 5 times, when he turns on the genny
right away and gets the pack up to 90-95%.

The obvious stuff, batteries swollen or on last gasp, I can handle.  It
is the more subtle problems I struggle with...and remediation on
starting-to-go-off-the-right-path banks.

Kelly Larson
BSEE
Ca Electrical Contractor #868189

- - - -