Thin Film taking over?, was RE: Ground Fault [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Mon Mar 20 17:08:27 PST 2006

Small Business Virtual Office VoIP Phone System. Big
Business Functionality for a Small Business Telephone
price. Packet8 Business Sales 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexd2bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Bill,

OK, OK; I'll go with 7.5!    Kaneka seems to be doing pretty well with
their arrangement, even if they ARE big and heavy and only 60 Watts, but
they are Japanese after all. :-\     There actually is a lot of effort
and money being invested into the technology at present but who knows;
maybe the European, the Japanese, Korean and Chinese markets will
slack-off with their infernal ordering and cut us some slack! Not to
mention those illusive million roofs Arnold keeps talking about.

Aside from having a hard time getting wafers, wouldn't it be fun to be a
module manufacturer right now?

Matt

Bill Brooks wrote:

>Matt,
>
>It is really hard to believe that Shell would plan to move entirely into
>thin films. They currently don't make very much thin film, so what would
>they do? Ramping up thin film manufacturing to the tens of MW has proven
>difficult at best. 100s of MW would be hard to imagine. I don't think we are
>going to see the change you suggest in 5 years. Perhaps 10-20 years is a
>better timeframe for thin films. The Japanese still have to perfect the
>manufacturing for us. ;-) They are working on it, but they still have a ways
>to go. Until then we will patiently await our crystalline modules.
>
>Bill.
>

>William,
>
>So - did Shell abandon their plans to sell out their crystalline module
>business and move entirely to thin film then? I know it was in the works
>for a while. Virtually all thin film modules use MC connections and, if
>you think MC's are a pain, just wait 'till amorphous becomes the norm!
>All the big module companies are moving that way now it seems, including
>Shell, BP, Sharp and anyone else that can afford the equipment to make
>it. I bet that the solar industry is going to look quite different in
>five years, including the methods available to make connections. Even if
>I agree with you about J boxes.
>
>Matt

Sign Up for Packet8 and tell your phone company
to VoIP-Off. First Month Free! Then up to 50% off your
phone bill.  Free Equipment! Packet8 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexdRbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com