battery sulfation [RE-wrenches]

Doug Wells dwells at solar-works.com
Thu Jan 26 14:09:04 PST 2006

Jumpstart your love life at AmericanSinglesR.com.
Meet someone in your area today. Millions of member profiles.
Create a profile, post photos and search for free.
http://click.topica.com/caaemrrbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Spark Network

Marco,

I have seen a lot of UPS systems with L-16's.  We have tried tweaking the
settings in a variety of ways to extend battery life.  I would in no way
promise a 10-12 year life span on L-16's used in this manner.  The average
battery bank life is more like 5 to 7 years.  Premature failure has been do
to 1. mossing of plates due to stagnation  2. habitual overcharging due to
auto bulk charge on rural lines that have frequent power dips and 3. lack of
customer maintenance.
Equalization would probably be ideal for some customers, but I have found
that a simulated outage is pretty easy for people.  Once a month flip the
main panel breaker, and let the batteries run the critical load panel for a
morning or evening.  Then flip the main breaker and the SW and Outback
inverters will go into an auto bulk charge.  This is enough to stir up the
electrolyte and mildly cycle the batteries.

Doug Wells
Solar Works Inc.
64 Main St.
Montpelier, VT 05602