battery sulfation [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Jan 25 17:32:34 PST 2006

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaemrqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Dealix

Boy, I have been round and round on this... here is what I know...

Flooded lead antimony batteries are designed for cycling, and when
floated not only do they suck power, but the electrolyte stratifies, so
I was recommend that they see monthly equalizing. I take my home pack of
8 grid tied L-16's (48 volt system) to 60 volts for 7 hours once a
month. That uses about 7 kWh (does not include the standby losses). :-(

If that is done, I believe the typical off grid 10 to 12 years of life
expectancy can be had... provided, the customer checks the water and
EQ's regularly.

The best battery IMO for this application are flooded lead calcium
cells. They will last 30+ years, if treated as a shallow cycle (50% DOD
MAX, floating most of the time) battery. They rarely need EQ-ing (or
watering for that matter) and standby losses are low. The downfall is
that they are damn expensive. I was stoked to get the 20 year old set
from the hydro plant I work at part time. They are still doing great
even though they are beyond the end of their "service life".

I shy from AGM's as they seem to have a short life and are fussy about
regulation voltage... same for gels.

Do others have better info?

Todd

http://click.topica.com/caaemrnbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PC PowerScan