Paralleling Battery Banks [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Sat Dec 30 08:50:26 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

--On Tuesday, December 26, 2006 4:01 PM -0800 Walt Ratterman <wratterman at SunEnergyPower.com> wrote:

> We have a remote situation, where we have two sets of 48V "Batteries"
> comprised of 24-2V cells each, to be part of an Outback Power system.
> We are running two sets of 4/0 home run cables back to the inverter.
> One set will be from each of the two 48V battery banks.
>
> Normally, we would parallel the two batteries at the battery location
> (as well as having them paralleled where the homerun cables come into
> the inverter).
>
> We are facing a situation where we may be short on battery cables.  Do
> you see any particular problem in leaving off the paralleling cables at
> the battery bank, and having the paralleling done only where the homerun
> cables come together in the Inverter enclosure?

No issue, and that's how we would typically wire this sort of arrangement.  If possible, put a suitably rated fuse on each battery bank (ideally as close to the battery as possible) to protect the battery cables.  This will prevent a short in one battery pack from taking down they system and/or damaging the other battery bank.  If you use pull out fuse holders, it will also facilitate battery maintenance.

.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php