Paralleling Battery Banks [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Sun Dec 31 00:02:57 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

At 8:50 am -0800 30/12/06, Kurt Albershardt wrote:

>If possible, put a suitably rated fuse on each battery bank (ideally
>as close to the battery as possible) to protect the battery cables.
>This will prevent a short in one battery pack from taking down they
>system and/or damaging the other battery bank.  If you use pull out
>fuse holders, it will also facilitate battery maintenance.

Take care that pulling a fuse will not leave the charging sources
connected to the inverter and controls without any battery.  I would
use a separate fuse(s) for any charging sources, so that this is not
possible.  A wind or hydro turbine that shares a fuse with the
inverter can be a source of dangerously high voltage if the fuse is
pulled.  Charge controllers may or may not be able to deal with the
turbine output in the absence of batteries.  I am not sure about PV
but I would imagine that the same problem would arise to a lesser
extent (lower open circuit voltage).

I guess if you put a separate inverter fuse on each battery string,
then you need multiple fuses for the charging sources as well.  Or
else place a conspicuous sign indicating the dangers of pulling out
all the battery fuses.
--
Hugh

Scoraig Wind Electric