120 degree azimuth [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 20 19:46:27 PST 2006

<x-flowed>
${top_text_ad}
Hi Steve,

Are you sure PVWatts only gave a 7.6% reduction -
at what tilt?  I've run it before due East and
West (at about a 40º tilt)  and it's about 18-22%
and since the drop off from due South is not
linear I'd expect it to be more on the order of
12-15% reduction.

Which in my book is still good economics.  Do
play with the tilt though and see where it
optimizes.  Flatter will probably give you some
pretty strong numbers.

We've installed some systems due East and West -
As long as there is no other shading we consider
it a doable site. Equivalent to due south with
20% shading loss - so go for it!

Best,

Jeff C.

>Wrenchisimos,
>
>I have a customer that has asked me to design/price a 22kw system for a
>hotel.  The back of the roof is about 26 degrees tilt but facing 120
>degrees, 60 degrees off of due south.  I ran the numbers on PV Watts and
>it showed only a 7.6% loss of power.
>
>Can anyone comment from experience on an installation 60 degrees to the
>east of south?  I don't want to make a poor recommendation.  Because of
>the site layout there is very little possibility of a canopy/parking
>type installation which is what I would like to do.
>the roof is ideal otherwise.
>
>Steve Johnson
>LightWave Electric
>Nashville, Tennessee
>

>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
65 Schoolhouse Rd