VFX3524 and 1 HP 240V Gould sub pump....? [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Sep 20 08:53:10 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi Travis and Davis,

One way to avoid this type of  problem with submersible pumps is to
exchange the pump with an SQ. Variable speed pumps have no start-up
surge to clobber a single off-grid inverter, not to mention that
Grundfos makes great pumps. It is certainly less expensive to replace a
pump, provided it's not a huge one, than to add an inverter.

Matt T

Travis Creswell wrote:

>Hello Davis,
>
>Yes, we have done a 1hp 3-wire with a VFX3524/X-240 set up.  Are you using a
>3 wire?  The AC amps will be printed on the control box.  Confirm that your
>AC amps are in line with that before moving on to look at the inverter.  If
>you haven't got a control box then your problem has been identified as I
>don't think a single inverter is going to start a 1hp 2-wire pump.
>
>The inverter will shut off after a few seconds of 50 amps or greater.  What
>the DC voltage doing during all this?  Is it falling below the cut off of
>the inverter?
>
>190 amps sounds a lot higher then what I was seeing at our installation.
>>From memory we saw 90-120 amps at start up and ~70 amps running.
>
>We did have a problem which even damaged a few of the inverters boards
>several times before we figured it out. Turned out that the start winding of
>the pump was the problem not the inverter.  It was really hard to diagnose
>because it was intermittent.  No one involved had ever seen that happen (the
>story of my life).
>
>Best,
>Travis Creswell
>Ozark Energy Services