Battery strings [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Mon Sep 18 10:26:13 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi Bob;

I've recently gone to single strings, but had  one bad cell (Rolls) take
out the whole system. My current thinking is that 2 string designs are
the best compromise between limiting parallel problems without single
string problems.
Also, related to this: I have a question on how folks are wiring up
large battery banks and multiple inverters. How many 4/0 cables are
going to the batteries from the busbar for say a 12 Ouback inverter
system? Trace used to use the same cable and just jump from one inverter
to the next. I figured they could do this because of the out of phase
relationship between the inverters. (DC to an inverter is not really
DC.... just check with an oscilloscope)
So where is the rule book for battery cable sizing on multiple inverter
systems?

Thanks ya'll

Ray Walters

Chris Worcester wrote:

>Hi Bob,
>
>If you want to use a bus bar assembly I hooked up 10 VFX3648's to 2 strings
>of Rolls 2-KS-33's using Ilsco insulated 4/0 x 14 port splice taps/bars.
>This is a really neat way to do a 4/0 bus bar. They make these
>splicer/reducers from two hole to 14 hole. They were around $270 for the
>pair and well worth it.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Chris Worcester
>NABCEP Certified PV Installer