cooling technologies [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 16 04:39:37 PDT 2006

WIN A GAULEY OVERNIGHT RAFTING TRIP FOR TWO.
Enjoy two days of world-class whitewater with
a night of deluxe riverside camping in between.
http://click.topica.com/caaeUaEbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ NAAR

Hi Wrenches:

A simple, relatively cheap, "passive" dehumidifier/AC;

Install a copper coil on the intake of your cold=20
water supply and then install a fan to blow=20
across it - (either powered by a direct coupled=20
PV or a AC fan controlled by a flow activated=20
switch).

  Works especially well in public buildings with=20
commercial kitchens (or places that use alot of=20
irrigation water) - any where where the water=20
runs alot.  Not very effective for residential=20
water conserving households, but if you have a=20
spare PV panel lying around it's a relatively=20
cheap free source of coolth/dehumidification.

And it works especially well if you have a deep well with nice cold water.

We installed one on a conference center with a=20
commercial kitchen.  They called me in to solve=20
the sweating pipes syndrome since they used alot=20
of water and their pipes  dripping with=20
condensate were causing a real problem in the=20
basement - so i got to thinking why not make that=20
source of coolth concentrated.  So Installed=20
about 25' of 3/4 coiled copper right after the=20
pressure tank and coupled it to a 50 watt PV=20
panel and fan.  Pulls about 3-5 gallons of water=20
out of a humid New England summer day.  And It=20
warms the water slightly so the sweating is not=20
such a problem down the line.    Not bad for free=20
coolth.

Jeff C.
Village Power Design
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer=81

>Hi Todd,
>
>The issue that Christopher brings up is a very=20
>real problem and is what caused most of those=20
>systems to fail.
>
>I've been told that around 50% humidity is the=20
>upper limit for a swamp cooler to work.
>
>Just as an aside, Sante Fe NM, has outlawed=20
>swamp coolers due to water usage.  So they are=20
>now using AC in very low humidity which isn't=20
>good
>for AC units.
>
>Jay
>
>Peltz Power
>
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Here=EDs your chance to tell some of the most=20
>important names inretailing and household=20
>products what=EDs on your mind. You could wina=20
>free iPod Nano by signing up for our new=20
>consumer opinion paneland filling out a brief=20
>survey.
>http://click.topica.com/caaeTvObz8Qcsa9hBZif/ HomeWorldResearch
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/rea=
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:=20
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
72 Baker Rd.
Shutesbury, MA 01072
425 Nimrod St.
Nevada City, CA 95959
Here’s your chance to tell some of the most important names in
retailing and household products what’s on your mind. You could win
a free iPod Nano by signing up for our new consumer opinion panel
and filling out a brief survey.
http://click.topica.com/caaeTvObz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ HomeWorldResearch

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php