ground rod question [RE-wrenches]

Dan Whigham, SC Solar DWhigham at scsolar.com
Wed May 31 04:52:24 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Todd,

I will concur, but take it a step further. I lifted one up too high and my
finger was caught between top of the ground rod and the handle of the driver
when it came down full thrust. If it were not for gloves, I would have lost
the finger for good. The finger to be re-attached, it cut through the bone
and 2 stainless steel pins held my finger together while it healed- which
took many months. I personally stopped driving the ground rods with the
fence post driver method- however my helpers still use the method.

Best Regards,

Dan Whigham

SC Solar
Lighting The Way

www.scsolar.com
803-802-5522  Phone
803-233-1750 Fax

Watch out when using a fence post driver on ground rods that as the rod
goes in, you do not accidently lift the driver too high, off the rod and
slam it down on your foot. It hurts... and if you end up with all your
toes still intact (like I barely did) it is one mistake you will never
repeat.

Todd

Jason Lerner wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> Randy's comment about taking a chunk out of his thumb pounding ground
> rods reminds me of all the times I have missed with the sledge I am  still
> using (on it's third handle).  The only trick I have learned  for pounding
> a rod when there is nobody around,  or nobody around  brave enough to hold
> it while I swing,  is to tie a piece of twine  around the rod and then to
> a belt loop.  Swing,  lean back,  swing,   lean back.  It looks funny,
> but does help with the wiggle sometimes.
>
> Jason Lerner
> Waldron Power and Light Co.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com