ground rod question [RE-wrenches]

Randy Brooks Randy at BrooksSolar.com
Tue May 30 20:12:51 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Wrenches,

We've also tried the hammer drill, and even a portable jack hammer,
with limited success.  I have worked with other electricians that used
the demolition hammer with good success in really hard ground.  I've
also driven too many ground rods with the good old standby metal fence
post driver - and watched the end curl up 3' down slope :), broken the
end out of the driver and had it welded back together, and missed the
rod and taken a chunk out of my thumb, right through my glove.  Be
careful out there!

Geoff's item about the air compressor powered tunneling tool reminded
me of a trick I've used to tunnel under sidewalks.  Attach a hose to a
length of copper or galvanized pipe long enough to tunnel to your
objective.  Turn on the water and let it bore ahead of the pipe as you
push it through.  Took about 30 seconds to go through the dirt under a
4' sidewalk.  Left a hole plenty big enough to push conduit or pull
direct burial wire through.

The other tool I haven't seen mentioned is the large Sears tool box
with wheels and extending handle.  They are about 30" wide x 18" deep
and 24" high.  They are sometimes on sale for $30 or $40.  It's great
to wheel a heavy tool box around when possible, and they have a big
sturdy handle for lifting into the truck.

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
Solar Power for People
140 Columbia View