ground rod question [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Tue May 30 13:00:20 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

We took a broken SDS bit and had a welding shop make us a nice ground rod
driver bit.  Doing an SSV wind tower and had 3 groundrods to drive... boy
were we excited to use our new tool!  Set the hammerdrill to "hammer only",
got ready, stuck it in the ground and....  Nothing!  Nada!  Rats!

We have a smaller Milwaukee SDS rotohammer (not the demolition hammer) and I
guess it just didn't have enough umph.  Out came the fence post thingy
followed by the sledge for the final 2 feet.

In the cool rental tools category I have enjoyed the "sea-legs" effect of
getting used to stable ground after piloting an "Articulated boom man lift"
for 9 hours!  A great tool for a terrible installation (thermal and PV on a
45 degree metal roof ABOVE a fragile greenhouse glass roof).  The other cool
tool that cost a lot but saved me was a "Pierce arrow".  This thing was a
4.5' long 3" round heavy rocket shaped thing that you hooked a huge gas
powered air compressor to.  poke it in the dirt in a trench and let 'er go!
It bored under a 18' wide road in about an hour (plan A was to push a
pointed sleeve of s-40 pipe through with backhoe... no success).  I have
since gotten several 3' sections of augers from northern tool for driveways
and sidewalks and been pretty lucky on soil types.  ALWAYS include an
unknown conditions clause for when you his bedrock 4" below grade etc....

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.