Info on arco panels? [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu May 18 13:26:37 PDT 2006

The Arcos you have are probably a version of an M55, rated
 Max Power 53 watts
 I @ Max Power =3.05 amps
 V @ Max Power = 17.4 volts
 Open Circuit Voltage = 21.8 volts
 Short Circuit current = 3.27 amps (this one is the same as yours)

or an M75, rated

 Max Power 47 watts
 I @ Max Power =2.94 amps
 V @ Max Power = 16 volts
 Open Circuit Voltage = 19.9 volts
 Short Circuit current = 3.27 amps (this one too is the same as yours)

or a variant of one of those. I got this info from some 1987 Arco cut sheets
in the files; specs would be slightly different for earlier years of the
same modules. The M55 only stopped production by Siemens a few years ago.

And while we're (not) on this topic...I have repaired some 10-15 old Arco
and early Photowatt modules with studs broken off. So far 100% successfully,
although I always disclaim a guarantee of success before taking the little
job on. I use Big Bertha - an old 100W electric soldering iron - to solder a
pigtail of USE-2 wire to the back of the module where the stud was; then
cover the connection with silicone for seal and add some strain relief (to
prevent it from happening again). The tempered glass appears to handle the
localized high temperature from soldering with no problems.

And on the topic of early Photowatt modules (not like the current ones;
these are kind of yellow, have striated glass and came in 35W (3" cells) and
55W (4" cells) versions): so far, the best old modules I have encountered.
Windy was the US distributor for these for awhile in the early 80s. To date,
every last one I have tested still puts out rated power. The Arcos don't.

Allan at PosE