Info on arco panels? [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Thu May 18 08:02:04 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Bob,
Also, if these modules do not have a J-box and just two studs on the
back for plus and minus, be SUPER careful that they don't break off
during tightening or loosening. If you can get them loose, get some
Never-Seize or some such on them. I don't think the old Arco modules
were 50W so this probably isn't a problem, but....
Good Luck, Bob-O
On May 17, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Windy Dankoff wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Those panels date back to mid-80's. Arco was the first mass-
> producer of PV modules. They later became Siemens Solar. In
> general, their old modules still work fine, with relatively little
> deterioration. The exception is some of them in which the
> temperature was too high during the lamination process, and the
> encapsulant material later turned brown. If these modules aren't
> browning significantly, and they all test well, then they are
> likely to keep on truckin' for some time.
>
> As for value, they would have value only for off-grid, off-code
> applications.
>
> Windy
>
>> From: "Bob Ellison" <ellison at gisco.net>
>> Subject: Info on arco panels?
>>
>> Has anyone got any info on these panels? How have they held up in
>> the past
>> and such.
>> I have a customer looking to upgrade and he wonders what they are
>> worth.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bob
>>
>> ARCO Solar Inc. Here is what I copied off the Panel
>> Performance @ 25 C:    Max Power 50 watts
>>                                     I @ Max Power =3.11 amps
>>                                     V @ Max Power = 16.1 volts
>>                                     Open Circuit Voltage = 22