Honda inverter / generators with off grid [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Wed Mar 22 15:13:36 PST 2006

Sign Up for Packet8 and tell your phone company
to VoIP-Off. First Month Free! Then up to 50% off your
phone bill.  Free Equipment! Packet8 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexdRbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

A number of months ago Christopher Freitas had an interesting post about
testing Honda Inverter Generators. I have used several EU3000iS gens and a
couple of EM7000iS generators with Out Back systems with good results
(off-grid). However I have not performed any kind of scientific tests. My
general impressions are the 3000 is remarkably quiet for a gasoline genset
and the charging power (amp hours into the batteries) per gallon of gasoline
seems better than other gasoline generators that we have used. The 7k unit
is considerably noisier and is a split phase unit, although with a full
power at 120v switch.

Exceprt from Christopher's post of last fall:
<< Honda does have some new inverter/generator models that look very
interesting - including a 7000 watt unit with electric start and a
remote control panel called the EM-7000i with a list price of $4000.

A building contractor I am working with recently bought a couple of
these for his crews.  They are very pleased with the performance so far.
The overall design of them is very nice and includes a digital meter
system for RPM, Load, battery voltage and error codes.

These use the air cooled single cylinder 13HP overhead valve engine -
not the water cooled unit as on the 6500W models.  They still seem
pretty quite even though they are air cooled.  This air cooled engine
has in past been very good and inexpensive to rebuild.

I am hoping to do some testing with these units this week - I know our
OutBack inverter/chargers work well with the small (1-3kW) honda
inverter/generators (although on some we have found the addition of a
motor run capacitor improved the voltage stability when the FX's charger
was working hard).

These may be a good option for customer with grid-tie OutBack's as they
should be more stable frequency-wise and might work therefore.  I will
report back on the results of my testing when I complete it.    >>

I'm wondering what you have found Christopher. And can this gen be rigged
for auto start / stop with an OB system?
Will Honda be offering these in propane?

Dave

Small Business Virtual Office VoIP Phone System. Big
Business Functionality for a Small Business Telephone
price. Packet8 Business Sales 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexd2bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com