Positive ground with batteries? [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Mar 17 18:03:32 PST 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaexd8bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Phil -

The OutBack HUB does actually work with positive ground systems - but
there are ways that it can be easily damaged if it is not connected
properly - which is likely to happen.  Steve was being a bit dramatic
perhaps...

Yes - the negative (ungrounded) conductor could be a color other than
red - I was making a point that the color codes become a little
confusing from what is normally done - which is why it becomes easy to
make wiring mistakes with making a positive ground system NEC compliant.

The other point I want to emphasis is that a positive grounded system
using an OutBack MX60 would still not be NEC compliant since the MX60
would be switching the grounded conductor - regardless of how well it
was wired and installed.

Because of these issues we do not advise using OutBack products in
positive ground applications.  It can and has been done successfully -
but I think the risk outweighs the benefits.  A "micro-grid" approach
using OutBack inverters for the battery and a batteryless grid-tie
inverter for the PV would be more adviseable when these positive ground
PV modules must be used.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Sign Up for Packet8 and tell your phone company
to VoIP-Off. First Month Free! Then up to 50% off your
phone bill.  Free Equipment! Packet8 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexdRbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com