Positive ground with batteries? [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 19:27:20 PST 2006

Thanks all this has been enlightening. Furthermore it
refreshed my memory of what I discussed with Outback
when I was working on a positive ground system.  I had
Chris and the whole tech staff involved.

Just my last insites and Memories.
If the modules are positive ground, you can not ground
the battery positive, because the MX 60 bypasses on
the negative. (The Negative of the Modules is
connected to the Negative of the battery terminal.
That is if the MX60 is grounded on the module side
positive, the other positive must float, which is
fine.  It works this way.

The GFDI also does not work because the module is
grounded.  And the GFDI depends upon the leads from
the modules not being grounded, but this also does not
matter if it is not residenical install just don't try
to use a GFDI.

The Hub problem.
Yes the hub, The MX60 and FX has a common on the
network cable which connects to the Hub negative.
If the Hub is connected to the MX and the FX and the
negative breaker between them opens they are still
connected with the 24 gauge network cable.  To slove
this the MX can not be on the network ie hub.  This
has not proved to be a problem because the MX can be
set up via its control screen and buttons.

Not withstanding Chris is correct although it works it
is to be avoided.  The network ie hub would need a
optical link and the MX60 should have a positive
ground version.  Which my be possible, but Chris has
more pressing things. (such a expanding the generator
acceptance window).

The SB may have problems too because it has a GFDI
that requires the modules leads not be grounded.

Darryl