panels on a bowed roof [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 2 20:04:19 PST 2006

<x-flowed>
Hi Kirk,

Yes, that's one way that might work nice for the PV.

Perhaps instead of trying to shim each rail row to square off to the
panel with top clips , you could use a perimeter mounting system like
Sunframe or Comprail (Sunearth) or the new ITT rail
(www.thompsontec.com) and then each common rail would be only a few
degrees off of flat to each of panel row - it might work depending on
the degree of change of your bow.  The ITT has the biggest "shelf",
the comprail is not much smaller - those might work better than the
narrow shelf of the Sunframe.

For the DHW, Could you perhaps used evacuated tube collectors?  -
then your "facet" size would be your header size.  Apricus tubes are
my favorite.  Drainback with Apricus makes a very simple sweet high
reliability hot water system and looks a whole lot nicer than 4 x 8
boxes.

Just a thought - seems a shame to put a big flat collector on a convex roof!

Best,

Jeff C.

>Jeff,
>
>Its not easy to follow the arc when 4 x 8 DHW collectors have to be
>mounted in side-by-side in portrait mode per customer request.
>
>I could mount multiple rows of PV panels in landscape mode, on Unirac
>rails. The rail feet would have to be shimmed to allow the panel to lay
>flat on the rail, and Unirac sells shims. Each row of panels would
>"follow the arc" on its respective slope.
>
>Kirk Herander
>Vermont Solar Engineering
>802.863.1202
>fax 802.863-7908
>NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar PV Installer
>Xantrex Certified Dealer Charter Member
>NYSERDA-eligible installer
>VT Solar and Wind Partner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
72 Baker Rd.