panels on a bowed roof [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 4 09:46:47 PST 2006

<x-flowed>
Hey Kirk,

To do PV on a arced roof and follow the arc, a few more thoughts:

1) Ideally one row would be long enough for an
inverter string.  If the degree of arc is not
great then two or even three rows could make up a
string if their tilt was not more than, let's say
5º apart.  If the arc is big enough portrait
mounting would ensure more watts per row at the
same angle.  Or with landscape mounting, you
would get more "facets" but less watts at the
same exact angle.  But this might be fine if two
adjacent rows were really close in angle.  Two
rows of landscape might end up with more watts
per string than one row of portrait.

2)  If you used either a Magnetek inverter or a
Sharp inverter you would have multiple MPPT
channels to work with and so could keep good per
watt inverter economics but still have more
strings to work with.  Alternatetely you could
use a number of smaller inverters  to match the
rows - like a SB700 or SB1100 or the PV Powered
smaller units. (there was a wrenches thread on
the small configurations a while back)

Also in VT, snow and ice might want to catch in
the Vs between the facets - another reason to
consider a perimeter mounting system so you can
smooth that out and get good snow shedding.

It would look really nice!  Anyone else done PV on an arc?

Have other practical considerations killed the
idea?  or are you pursuing it?  Evacuated tubes
solve the hot water problem?   just curious.

Best,

Jeff C.
Village Power Design

--