!RE: Service Call Reimbursement [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sun Jan 8 12:19:45 PST 2006

Save up to $1,500 on your phone bill with Packet8
Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month Free!
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaemrkbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Ms. Kerr,

Barbra Kerr wrote:

>Mr. Tritt -
>
>Please know that we are not against and/or for any particular inverter
>manufacturer.  We install all of the 3 leading brands, based on project
>demands.  In previous postings we have merely shared the facts of our
>experience with both module and inverter manufacturer's service call
>reimbursement policies, and how they affected our bottom line. I understand
>this forum to be one of respectful sharing, not one of criticism and
>threats.

Indeed. So what are the "three leading brands" in your view? I'm under
the impression that there a several more that are very good as well.

>Why Not?  Please review my earlier postings regarding this topic.  If from
>there you still ask the same question, please know that I don't have
>anything further to add that may clarify it for you.

So, including a small contingency "fee" in your bids to cover possible
call-backs is out as well? I sure don't see a problem with this.

>"This really works" mentality.  Please know that we perform installations
>throughout California.  When the industry was just crawling in California,
>we were educating more than we were selling.  The technology was not
>mainstream.  About 3.5 years ago, we were able to shift more into a
>tradition sales model.  This was true in the highly urbanized areas, San
>Diego, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, et al.   However, the further we are
>removed from these larger, more sophisticated areas, the more the sales
>technique reverts back to educating or a quasi-educational style.  Meaning
>the confidence level in the technology is not as high, especially in the
>residential market. This has been our experience in Northern, Central, and
>Southern California.

So you actually meant "So, this really works?" I get it now - but, like
a certain number of us on this list, I actually am pretty familiar with
the history of solar, wind, hydro and solar thermal technologies in
California, having been in it since 1980. Confidence levels seem to me
to have more to do with an individual's perception of the technology
than with a particular regional demographic phenomena. I say this after
years of installing in other areas myself, and finding that most people
of an inquisitive nature - regardless of region - are willing to adopt
new technologies, even if there are occasional reliability issues to
contend with.

>Regarding your comment that included the phrase "... allowing you to
>contribute to the growth of the industry as a whole."  Please know that when
>I made the decision to enter into this emerging industry not one
>manufacturer invited, encouraged, enticed, or otherwise provided me with any
>incentive to participate and risk all my personal assets in an unproven
>market.  Allowing me to contribute! No, I have earned and continue to earn
>the right to contribute each and everyday by providing the best services and
>products available, just like all other good wrenches do.

That's not what I meant. I was referring to active interaction with
manufacturers and distributors as a way to help them develop and grow in
a direction that benefits everyone involved. Consider that the history
of grid-tied PV in the US is really very short and that, prior to SMA,
the only method to connect to the grid with PV and wind was via vastly
inferior equipment. The efforts of SMA have been revolutionary in that
they offered the first reliable mass-produced small scale battery-less
grid-tied inverters in the US. Trace (Xantrex) and AE efforts were
literally nothing by comparison. If it wasn't for SMA the PV growth in
California would be quite different compared to what has happened. All
the other manufacturers that have appeared on the scene since the
arrival of SMA have benefited from the trials (and eprom errors) and
tribulations of John B. and crew, and the guys in Germany of course. If
you have issues with policy at any of the inverter companies I'm sure
they would be more than willing to hear you out.
I think that, since virtually all the manufacturers around today produce
great product, it is better to choose inverters that most closely match
a specific application than to choose one strictly because of company
reimbursement policy, but that's just me.

>What is cream today, may be spoiled milk tomorrow if not properly cared for.

Or cottage cheese.:-)

>Mr. Tritt, I trust your inquiry into my comments was sincere.  Please know
>that I have endeavored to answer them in the spirit of this forum with
>openness and respect.  Perhaps, you would be kind enough to share your
>actual experience and opinions regarding this topic, rather than attempting
>to put one on the defensive. I, for one, am really interested.

Of course it was sincere or I wouldn't have bothered. My actual
experience with all inverter company's specific policies, or what?
Putting you on the defensive is not what I had in mind. What I was
attempting to do is to get you to see that active interaction with the
people who actually make what you are installing is a good thing to do
and that, by default, you (that's everyone who sells and installs PV)
are representing these manufacturers. I was also attempting to express
my opinion that we are not selling intangibles, but equipment that is
quite real. I'm sorry that you see this as some kind of attack on you,
which it is not.

Matt T

http://click.topica.com/caaemrnbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PC PowerScan

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com