!RE: Service Call Reimbursement [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sat Jan 7 10:19:30 PST 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaemrnbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Barbara,

Barbra Kerr wrote:

>Joel, Ezra -
>
>I agree that there are ways the installers can overcome the shortcomings of
>the various manufacturer's lack of reimbursement for service calls, but it
>isn't right the right thing to do.

Why not?

>We have an emerging industry where some buyers are still overcoming the
>"this really works" mentality and we want to let the prospective buyers'
>market know that they may be guinea pigs on top of that.  Not me.  I don't
>know about any other dealer/installer out there, but I sell confidence and
>integrity - not hardware.

Yes, it is still an emerging industry, and all emerging industries have
problems to overcome - but I don't understand what you mean by saying
that "buyers are still overcoming the ""this really works"" mentality.
Maybe I'm too thick to get it, but please explain. By the way, like it
or not, you actually are selling hardware. Confidence and integrity are
not tangibles, they are impressions created by reputation and/or
business claims. Being able to support the hardware you supply in a
responsive and knowledgeable manner goes a long way to maintain the
impressions you want to emphasize. And maintaining a solid, positive
relationship with equipment suppliers and manufacturers is a major part
of allowing you to contribute to the growth of the industry as a whole.

>The industry has seen double digit hardware price increases, both last year
>and this year as module pricing became level worldwide. The proposal that we
>now want to increases cost even more to the end-user, and more importantly
>to shift the responsibility way from the manufacturer even more.  It seems
>like a dis-incentive to the manufacturers to keep QC high.

The manufacturers have plenty of incentive to keep QC at a maximum,
considering all the competition these days, not to mention the 5 year
warranty they all have to maintain. The cream always rises to the top. ;-)

Matt T

Save up to $1,500 on your phone bill with Packet8
Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month Free!
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaemrkbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com