!RE: Service Call Reimbursement [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Fri Jan 6 06:14:21 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

When I design a system, I specify the products. If I choose to purchase
components that fail, and the customer ends up having to pay to have me
replace them during my 1 year blanket warranty period... it makes me
look bad.

Some are advocating charging a customer (rather than the manufacturer)
for the labor to replace poorly designed products that fail in the field
during the first year of service. I don't think so! It is very likely
that I will simply choose other brands of products rather than eat the
service call a second time and "look a fool" for installing failure
prone equipment in the first place.

How about manufacturers consider the payment to us, a beta testing fee?
That way they can compensate us for bringing "not-ready-for-prime-time"
products to the market. In a day when people are wary about investing in
this "new fangled solar stuff", it behooves us too to stand behind our
work, installers, designers AND manufacturers alike.

Todd

>> Installers should advice their clients the limit and extend of the
>> warranty
>> and that it doesn't cover the cost of the installers time. They
>> should be
>> then offered a choice of taking the risk of paying the installers
>> time if
>> necessary or buying a service agreement. Serivce agreements are very
>> common
>> in other industries similar to ours and have proven to be profit centers
>> for many businesses.
>>
>> Having said that I'd like to step back and look as some other industries
>> and their examples of service. When I bought an expensive gas stove and
>> lugged it all the way to our darned island only to find it had a non
>> operable burner I was offered a box of parts but no service call.
>> When my
>> internet satellite dish required re-aiming (due the service providers'
>> changes) I had to pay for the service call, and spend many a long
>> hour on
>> the phone getting a credit from the provider.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com