Battery Strings in Balance [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Tue Sep 19 11:28:47 PDT 2006

The following was vetted with Michael Welch, Moderator before Posting:

The discussion about Battery Strings is interesting. The various
comments indicate a common wish to avoid unbalanced state of charge
within a series/parallel battery pack or even within a series only
battery string.

For 12 L-16 s in a 24 volt pattern, I cross-tie the pack but I also add
the active battery equalizer from Smart Spark Energy Systems called
BattEQ. This setup maintains all the L-16 s in the pack at equal
voltage. The internal resistance of each L-16 would tend to be very
consistent with the others as a result of the balancing effect (assuming
that you begin with batteries that are consistently healthy and
unsulfated).

The issue about where to then land the main cables and/or the issue
about buss-bars or no buss-bars are still worthwhile questions to
consider, but are no longer driven by fear of unbalanced batteries.

I've seen mention on the List of the PowerCheq balancer from
PowerDesigners, which balances 12 volt increments within a string but is
current limited to only 2 amps (and therefore appropriate for small
amp-hours only). I ve also seen mention on the List of using the
SolarConverters products for a similar purpose.

Have any list members taken note of the Smart Spark developments? I
would be interested in opinions & remarks from List members. Disclosure:
I do not own any stock in Smart Spark, but I am a wholesale/retail
distributor for BattEQ.

Abraham Solar Equipment
Pagosa Springs, CO
www.abrahamsolar.com