battery box venting flow rate? [RE-wrenches]

Bob Ellison ellison at gisco.net
Wed Sep 20 19:17:35 PDT 2006

If you put batteries in a box in the basement it will draw air, guaranteed.
I have taken to an idea I stole from Roy Butler that works so well I had to
use it. Sorry Roy......
Hook the vent line to a Carlon box and put a 4" BRUSHLESS fan (no
sparks..... Remember the Hindenburg?) mounted onto the box. Hook it to the
relay on the inverter and it will run when needed and draw next to nothing
for power.
I also put a pair of 90's on top of the pipe to keep out water and a screen
for bugs.
Back drafts can be prevented by using a flap valve for a sump pump. They
seem to do fine in this environment.

Bob