Arc fault Breakers [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Dec 22 14:14:19 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaegt3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Wrenches,
As we have done numerous times before, I am forwarding a response on the
AFCI issue from John Wiles.
Allan at PosE

AFCIs and PV

The AFCI issue looks like it has sorted itself out.   Doug Pratt has the
right idea.  All AFCIs are built to the same UL standard and will perform
about the same way.  Changing AFCIs won't fix the problem.  Some AFCIs also
have an unadvertised GFCI function built in.  It is unadvertised because it
doesn't trip at 5-6 ma, but at some slightly higher value.  The GFCI
function may trip in response to AFCI testing and give the impression that
some devices will work with some inverters and not others.

There will always be an on-going discussion about how to test the AFCIs and
GFCIs.  The internal self test is the only way the UL standard (and the
manufacturer) acknowledges that they can be tested.  The external testers
for AFCIs and GFCIs are controversial and some are not even listed devices.

Ever try to test a circuit breaker on a stand-alone inverter?  The inverter
shuts down before the breaker can trip.

Incidentally, UL 1741 will be changed to require all inverters to meet the
5% harmonic distortion level, so the square wave (modified sine wave) units
will lose their listing.   This isn't a bad thing because they will probably
be problematic with AFCIs as they have been with other electronic equipment.

Everyone have an enjoyable Holiday.
If I can provide further information, please do not hesitate to call, e-mail
or fax me.
John

John C. Wiles,  Program Manager
Southwest Technology Development Institute, New Mexico State University
505-646-6105      505-646-3841 (FAX)   http://www.NMSU.Edu/~tdi
SWTDI/NMSU
3705 Research Drive
Box 30001/MSC 3 SOLAR