Arc fault Breakers [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Wed Dec 21 10:24:27 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaegt3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Oh I was really joking Jay; I wouldn't actually try to get an inspector
to buy that. But truthfully, it's just another set of requirements and
equipment that ultimately drives costs up. It goes back to the whole
point that solar is in many ways inherently safer than grid power, yet
we are treated like we are installing something that is much more
dangerous.  I mean on another planet or country, they might understand
that having rows of branch circuit breakers in a system that is powered
by a small inverter that will overload before any breakers ever trip is
over kill. (example UX612)
 In the long run, I would like to see a special exemption for small
systems(help the affordable housing issue) that would reduce some of the
requirements (and cost) if the inverter were under a certain size. As
for your case that they may upgrade later: that is an issue in every
single electrical installation ever. Some one can always come along
later and put a 30 amp appliance on a 20 amp circuit, or overload an
existing 100 amp service, or put too many solar modules on a charge
controller, etc.
Its always up to the practitioner doing the changes to make sure
everything is done right.

To Allan, I've always thought the local inspector was reasonable, but he
has to enforce unreasonable rules sometimes. As far as the breakers
being faulty, I guess that is a possibility since they were installed at
the same time by the same electrician (same vendor). Did you have any
info on what inverters passed the Arc fault test? A DR2424 for example
will outsurge an Outback by a large margin ( 7000 VA vs. 4800 VA) A DR
3624 will surge to 10,000 VA, and an SW or SW+ will also outsurge an
Outback. The faulty breaker theory would be more likely if some passed
and some didn't. Every single one in both houses failed his test, which
makes me continue to suspect the inverter surge rating.

Ray

> The response of the inspector could be that what if a large generator
> is connected or more inverters are connected at some later date
> that increase the power to the 70+ amp range?

(Much of the system would have to change with more inverters: the main
battery cables, additional DC main breakers, the AC output breakers &
cabling ,etc. Adding AFCIs would be a very small part of the total
upgrade needed.)

> So I don't think the inspector would or should buy this argument    (
> begs the whole question of Arc fault breakers at all)
>
> jay

Save up to $1,500 on your phone bill with Packet8
Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month Free!
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaegt4bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com