controller settings for diversion load and generators... [RE-wrenches]

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 12:12:41 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaegt3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Thanks for the responses on this one.  I have tried all these fixes
before but none seem to really satisfactory.  Maybe we do have to
wait for Outback.

Jay wrote

>  1. Most Gel bats are toast at 29.6. Usually above 14.4v nominal
>  ( 12v) is too high. ( but each manufacture has its own settings.) I
>  don't use temp comp on gels as it will push the voltage above the
>  hard limits.

My supplier just told me I have to charge at 29.6 volts or I will
lose capacity.
He wrote:

>IF THE VOLTAGE IS HELD TO THIS THERE WILL BE NO LOSS OF ELECTROLYTE.
>
>>the charge control is set to hold the voltage at the specified value
>>for 4 hours before reducing it to the float level discussed.  Will
>>this be safe?
>
>YES THIS SHOULD BE SAFE. CHECK THE SYSTEM WHEN FIRST RUN WITH FULL CHARGED
>BATTERIES AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NO GASSING AT THIS LEVEL.
>
>ALLOWING THE VOLTAGES TO EXCEED 30 VOLTS WILL CAUSE GASSING.

He does not seem to have heard of temperature compensation and the
product data sheet does not list charging voltages at temperatures
other than 25 deg C. It does suggest 29-29.8V for 'cycle charging' at
25C.  Do you trust your tristar/c-40 to know when it is deeply cycled
though..... ?  At least the tristar has immediate response, unlike
the c-40 with its 5 second averaging delay.

Dave Katz wrote
>Be very
>  careful to follow the manufacturers instructions about voltage with gel
>  or AGM batteries and definitely use temperature compensation.

I am not confident with my supplier's instructions and I do not have
access to the manufacturer's temp comp. recommendations but whatever
they may be I would worry about hitting the battery with 29.X volts
when it is not really that much discharged.  It's a puzzle.  Do you
guys all stay below 29?  With temp comp?  That's what I would have
thought would be best.

Jay wrote

>  3. best I've done is to have the genny charge limit at just below
>  the diversion set point. That way the genny alone will not cause you
>  to dump power. If you use temp comp, both genny and CC must have it.

But what about conditions where the Cc goes to float and the gen is
still bulking?  Charge control does seem like one thing where a
centralised control is vital.  Or something to avoid inventing
'voodoo set-points'.

Still puzzled by these issues
--
Hugh

Scoraig Wind Electric
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/

BTW I just found out there are a lot more wrenches messages on the
lists.topica.com website than I get by email.
Save up to $1,500 on your phone bill with Packet8
Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month Free!
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaegt4bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com