heat pump sizing (was Re: Digest for RE-wrenches at topica.com, issue 1936 [RE-wre

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Fri Nov 25 11:01:12 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaedmqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

That is like asking the question I always get... "How much will it cost
to put solar on my home?" Sizing a PV system is dependent upon the house
electrical loads, their efficiency and the consciousness of the
customer. The first step before active solar electric is reducing waste
and improving efficiency. Sizing a heating/ cooling system for a home
requires the same considerations.

How big is the house, how efficient is the thermal envelope, what is the
local climate? You need to do an evaluation of the Btu requirements of
the home... and as with renewable energy for electricity, and the first
thing is ALWAYS improving the efficiency of the building first, which
likely will enable you to put in a much smaller heating/ cooling system.

We dropped out homes heating needs by 60% just by adding insulation,
better windows, insulated blinds, and changing to zone heating only
during times of use. In our case this allowed us to easily heat a 1700
sq ft home with a 28K Btu, air sourced heat pump during the coldest of
our winter temperatures.

Todd

Jeremy Page wrote:

>--------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:47:17 -0500
>From: conradg at cape.com
>Subject: Re: DC heat [RE-wrenches]
>

>Does anybody have any experience/recommendations for residential size
>groundwater heat tranfer heat pumps?
>Conrad
>Cotuit Solar

So Much Television, Such Little Time!  In Love with Lost(TM) or
Devoted to Desperate Housewives(TM)? Take our premier week
survey, complete our offers, and get a FREE* DVD set of either
show!
http://click.topica.com/caaeatAbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Viewer Survey

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php