Need help with cheap MET tower, real soon [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Sun Jul 3 15:19:52 PDT 2005

Get $1000.00 Overnight! Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! Many Lenders are 100% Paperless!
Let The Wizard Find the right Lender for you!
http://click.topica.com/caadHk8bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/911PaydayAdvance

Hi Darryl,

I have to agree with what Jim Duncan says about the smaller pipe being
snaky!

About 3 years ago we needed to get a Totalizer in the air about 65'.
Since we were used to putting up tilt towers (more than 25 and some home
made with no failures) and the #40 anemometer only weighed a couple of
ounces we said those famous words "how hard can it be?"
We used the 1.5" swaged antenna mast from radio shack and guyed it every
other joint. Raised it in the air and watched it come crashing
down....what a low point that was! Over several beers ( for our frayed
nerves you understand!) we came up with the following...

We decided to use 2" SS40 galvanized pipe...swaged on one
end...available at our local fencing company. This had significantly
more strength and rigidity....enough to allow us to keep the guys to
every other joint. These were fastened to the pipe with stainless
muffler clamp saddles but with the bolts replaced by eye bolts...one
looking each way and holding 2 guys each. FYI....We used a 15' gin pole
and 15' guy radius.

Anyway, this went up slicker than snot and stayed up for 3 years through
some incredible weather....gotta take that down one of these days...

>Roy Butler
>NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
>Four Winds Renewable Energy, LLC
>8902 Route 46
>Arkport, NY 14807
>607-324-9747
>www.four-winds-energy.com
>NYSERDA eligible PV installer for PON 716
>NYSERDA eligible wind installer for PON 792
>

>Darryl Thayer wrote:
>... Can I use six lengths of 2" electrical EMT conduit,
>

>>with steel couplings?  and cut some steel plate for
>>collars?  Would this be safe with 20' gin pole and a
>>20' tower radius?

Get $1,000 to spend on groceries… any way you please. Click here!
http://click.topica.com/caadHlsbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/GrocerySpree

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com