Help w/large o-t-g inverter! [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Jun 21 21:31:00 PDT 2005

FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
your child’s reading skills. Click below to sign up now!
http://click.topica.com/caadCUzbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Zoobooks

Brian T., Jeff O. and Jeff C. and other wrenches not mentioned:

We actually have started doing some systems larger than the self imposed
limitation mentioned by Brian of three inverter/chargers for three
phase.

I just recently got back from a trip to Uganda and Kenya to visit our
distributors there and to spend time with their technicians and to visit
a few sites.  I was impressed with what I saw them doing with our
products to meet the customer's needs.

Some how we decided Uganda would be a good place to experiment on a
couple of new OutBack Stacking configurations - so we actually have the
World's largest OutBack system there which is 24 VFX3048E inverters in a
three phase configuration - eight inverters per phase connected all in
parallel X three phase - 72 KWAC continuous.  This system has been
operating for about 6 months with a few challenges - but that is what it
takes to make sure it works.  The application is utility back-up for an
aids research / hospital center there.  The really odd part is that
often they have one phase still available during outages from which we
can charge from - letting the other two sets of inverters keep the three
phase power going.  Which of the three phase remains on seems to always
change with each outage.

Another interesting application we have in Uganda is backing up the
largest radio station there.  In this configuration we have them set up
in another new manner to maximize redundancy - all of the units are hot
swappable and can be turned off without affecting the others. This
provides the greatest assurance for the operation of the transmitter -
which is why the customer bought the system.  This system has six
OutBack VFX3048E inverters (18 kWAC) and has been running in this new
mode for over eight months without any problems.

We also have the famous Daryl Thayer grid interactive system in
Minneapolis which we visited on the way home from MREF that is working
fine - twelve OutBack GVFX3648s and thirteen MX60s in a four units per
phase X three phase configuration (43.2 KWAC).

So - we are close to offering more capabilities - just trying to take
the time to make sure they work well and to have the surprises on only a
few sites rather than in lots of locations...  These so far have been
all done with "off-the-shelf" product and some modified hub and
programming tricks.

As far as Jeff Oldham's application - we are interested - just need to
get an idea of the timeframe etc.

Doing systems this large with 48 vdc batteries may seem crazy - but I
actually think it has a lot of advantages and we have some new tricks
there as well we will be discussing when we are ready to release the
details...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com
19009 62nd Ave NE
Arlington WA 98223 USA
Tel 360 435 6030
Fax 360 435 6019
www.outbackpower.com

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadAckbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nexiderm

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com