C10 license and a visit to the CEC [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Tue Jun 7 10:42:53 PDT 2005

Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadAcrbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Hi Bill,

I agree, and a week or two ago I suggested a dividing line of 30kw as well
to those crafting SB1.  Now that California electricians have to be
certified, I think it is appropriate for C46's to employ Certified
Electricians for interconnection of 30kw and above.  I hired an extremely
qualified electrician to help me with my first few grid-tied installs, he
builds custom systems and puts UL labels on his custom work, which recently
included redesign, manufacture and installation of the new control and
wiring for the Disneyland monorail, as well as rides for amusement parks and
other custom industrial control systems. I was told that connecting
residential PV was simple and straightforward but he was not interested in
getting into the PV business because of the roof penetration and liability
issues.  I think C 46's and C10's both, with training, do outstanding work.

The new regulations requiring many thousands of hours, of non PV related
electrical work, before allowance to sit for the C10 test, precludes C46's
from taking the test, unless they spend about 4 years as an apprentice doing
non PV work.  I have applied to take the C10 test and do not qualify due to
lack of approved apprentice training.

I think a C46 Solar Energy contractor should be allowed to employ Certified
Electricians as opposed mandating a C10 on site.  What good is this new
certification if only a license holder can participate, especially due to
the fact that C10 license holders do not have to be certified, just the
employee electricians.

I also agree that it is in the best interest of installers to take the multi
day Endecon training course.  As SB1 develops, I think there is too much
focus on who will capture the subsidies, and not enough directed towards
what's best for the end consumer.

Graham

Get a Free T-Mobile Sidekick II plus $500 towards service!
Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caadAcqbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php