10 Jake conversion info wanted [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 08:26:24 PDT 2005

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caadlVFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Sharebuilder

Hi people
What  do you mean all wires?  The three phase wires
from the alternater are connected at a very low
resistance.  ( have forgotten what it is, but I
measured it one time)  The field coil also is very low
resistance, but the field is not supposed to be
connected to the alternator windings.  This is a
brushless field alternator.

One should investagate the connections and the exciter
to find if this is the source of the "short between
the field circuit and the Alternator circuit.

I have converted a 10 kW jake into a 48 volt using
some off the shelf and home made parts.  It is an
impressive machine.  producing up to 150+ amps at 48
volts.  The beauty is how it starts to generate at low
wind speed.

The factory once had systems that produced DC in
additions to the more common AC system.   I have
worked on a 10 kW jake and it is now a 48 volt battery
charger.  My home made charge (alternator) controller
and the jake is still working approaching 3 years I
think.  I got part of the circuits from solar
converters, and the balance I made.
Darryl

--- Bob Ellison <ellison at gisco.net> wrote:
> I have gotten a call and visited a 10 k Jake that
> has continuity between
> all the wires in the alternator, looks like the
> fellow was sold a piece
> of scrap by one of the dealers in the state, (no one
> on this list)
>
> Here is the question,
>
> He wants to get it rewound to run 48 volt DC direct
> to the battery bank.
>

> Does anyone ever heard of this being done
> successfully?
> It is a 3 phase AC to start with, and I have no idea
> where to look for
> someone with experience in the area. I expect it
> will involve governor
> changes but just starting the learning curve.
> N0 return call yet from the factory yet, can't
> really say I blame them.
> I should have hid in the closet for this one.....
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Bob

http://mail.yahoo.com

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaa9eYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/TopOffers
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com