Utility Insurance for Grid Tie? [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Dec 19 15:28:21 PST 2005

Hello All,

We've been working closely with a customers' utility for about 6 months and
they've been good to work with until lately.  They met me on the site with
just a few hours notice and immediately approved the line diagrams we
submitted. But they've just thrown a monkey wrench in the works.

They want the following insurance;

(4) Customer-Generator Liability Insurance
Obligation.
(A) The customer-generator shall carry no
less than one hundred thousand dollars
($100,000) of liability insurance that provides
for coverage of all risk of liability for personal
injuries (including death) and damage to
property arising out of or caused by the operation
of the net metering unit. Insurance may
be in the form of an existing policy or an
endorsement on an existing policy.

I'm told this is pretty minor in comparison to some states but the customer
and I are having a hard time finding anyone who will write this policy or
rider.  Their existing carrier won't do it and has no suggestions for who
can.

I'd appreciate any referrals for companies that write this type of
insurance.  We done grid tie installations all over the state but this is
the first time we've faced this.

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services