48 to 12 volt conversion [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 15 10:39:00 PST 2005

<x-flowed>
Hey Ray,

Yes, I've see cigarette lighters melt at 5 amps too.  Absolute junk
of a connector.  With the Edison plug hard screwed against the
contact I thought it a different animal whereas the cigarette plug
had a whimpy spring pushing a small point.  The Edison's do tend to
bend flat and lose that contact though so in thinking about it more,
no doubt you are right - especially if you are actually seeing
melting around the tip.

Thanks for being patient with my skepticism!

Best,

Jeff C.

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find out how!
>http://click.topica.com/caaeatubz8Qcsa9hBZia/Amazing phone
>
>Jeff Clearwater wrote:
>
>>Yes, all good points.  I'm convinced to buy LEDs when I can afford
>>it and go 120 VAC when possible and buy thin lite type 12 volt when
>>applicable.   But still my question is:   are the 12 V CFs you
>>bought the same ones they sell now?
>
>I can't answer that. The last ones I bought were from 2002. You'll
>need to ask AEE. The Edison contact is similar to another favorite
>hated connector: the cigarette lighter plug. I've seen those
>completely melt down at a sustained 5 amps. The melting of the
>plastic on the end of the DC CF is not speculation, it is a reality.
>I have several  CFs visibly melted around the contact tip.
>
>>   Doesn't take much to connect 2 amps without heat.
>
>It also doesn't take much to get measurable volt drop and heating
>with 2 amps. If I put DC CFs in again, I would definitely put the
>circuit on a LVD set at 11.6 v or higher. The other comment about a
>DC light in the equipment room: we try to do a pullchain (DC rated)
>Incandescent Light over every power board. They act as a crude volt
>meter too! (mmm pretty dim in here,  must be low batteries)
>

>Ray
>
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>FREE DVR
>And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
>Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
>http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsa9hBZif/DirectSatTV
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage