48 to 12 volt conversion [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Tue Nov 15 10:05:17 PST 2005

Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
http://click.topica.com/caaeatubz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Amazing phone

Jeff Clearwater wrote:

> Yes, all good points.  I'm convinced to buy LEDs when I can afford it
> and go 120 VAC when possible and buy thin lite type 12 volt when
> applicable.   But still my question is:   are the 12 V CFs you bought
> the same ones they sell now?

I can't answer that. The last ones I bought were from 2002. You'll need
to ask AEE. The Edison contact is similar to another favorite hated
connector: the cigarette lighter plug. I've seen those completely melt
down at a sustained 5 amps. The melting of the plastic on the end of the
DC CF is not speculation, it is a reality. I have several  CFs visibly
melted around the contact tip.

>   Doesn't take much to connect 2 amps without heat.

It also doesn't take much to get measurable volt drop and heating with 2
amps. If I put DC CFs in again, I would definitely put the circuit on a
LVD set at 11.6 v or higher.
The other comment about a DC light in the equipment room: we try to do a
pullchain (DC rated)  Incandescent Light over every power board. They
act as a crude volt meter too! (mmm pretty dim in here,  must be low
batteries)

Ray

FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DirectSatTV

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php