48 to 12 volt conversion [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Nov 11 17:34:08 PST 2005

Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
http://click.topica.com/caaeatsbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Your opinion

Darryl Thayer wrote:

>Change as much as possible the 12 volt halogen lights
>to 12 volt Compact Flourecent.

I'd have to recommend against 12 volt DC compact fluorescents. We have
seen almost 50% failure rates and quit selling them a few years ago. My
best assessment is that the low voltage high current ( 2 amps instead of
0.2 amps) causes the Edison tip of the bulb to heat up if the connection
isn't perfect. The heat from the ballast combined with the tip heat
takes out the ballast or in several cases melts the plastic around the
tip contact. We go to 120 vac CFs as much as possible, even converting
all  DC lighting circuits over to AC.
120 vac CFs are 4 to 5 times cheaper, much easier to get, much more
reliable, and use 10 times less current so overheating problems are
reduced. Add the special DC rated switches needed for 12 vdc circuits
and all that extra copper, more circuits for fewer lights etc. , I'm
surprised 12 vdc is so slow to die. Then think about how most 12 v
lighting systems are combined with 120 vac, and the very real
possibility of someone taking a 12 v bulb (usually unlabeled) and
screwing it into a 120 vac fixture.... they can actually blow up
showering your customer's face with fine glass. I just don't see the
benefit except for tiny non inverter systems.

Ray Walters

FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DirectSatTV

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php