48 to 12 volt conversion [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 23:08:46 PST 2005

Change as much as possible the 12 volt halogen lights
to 12 volt Compact Flourecent.  Which will greatly
reduce the 12 volt load.

To maintain the L-16s in the 12 volt supply, is a 12
volt charge controller that has a float charge stage.
I recovered another system about 2 yr ago where they
had two systems a 24 volt system and a 48 volt system.
 I used a MX60 supplied by the 48 volt system to
charge and float the 24 volt battery system.  I did
this with help from Outback in the set up of the MX60.
 I was warned that the MX could not necessarly handle
the very stiff 48 volt battery source, however so far
this works well.  The good point is the MX maintains
the 24 volt properly.  And it draws very little power
in doing so. Also if the load (24 volt) is high the
MX60 can supply a fair amount of power to support the
load and reduce the size of the lower voltage battery
set.  Of course I think this would work with 12 volt
as the lower voltage.

The problem with the 12 volt charger is it does not
have a float charge, (it will over charge the
batteries).  The charger is low in efficiency
requireing 120 volt AC and inverter operation.  the
charger can not load follow.

Good luck
Darryl