48 to 12 volt conversion [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Nov 11 16:18:26 PST 2005

FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DirectSatTV

I have used an MX60 in this configuration for several years now with
success - the concern we had about the higher voltage battery being
"stiff" is not an issue any more.

The lower voltage battery (12 or 24vdc) needs to be separate from the
other battery - although they should have a common negative/ground
connection. This second MX60 can be connected to the same HUB & MATE as
the other MX60s and inverter/chargers in the system with the higher
voltage battery.

The amount of power available to the lower voltage battery will be 60
amps maximum - so about 800 watts for a 12vdc battery and 1600 watts at
24vdc battery. Since the battery can provide power as well you can run
very large loads for a while and then let the system 12v or 24v recover
when the loads are low.

So - yes, it works well for large load situations - but its more
expensive than just using a DC to DC converter if the loads are smaller.

Christopher

Darryl Thayer wrote:

>  I used a MX60 supplied by the 48 volt system to
> charge and float the 24 volt battery system.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

New Apple® iPod® nano. As Thin as a No. 2 Pencil. Stores up to 3
Days of Songs! Get it Here FREE*!
http://click.topica.com/caaeatBbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Superb Rewards

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php