Watts a horse power [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson sunwise at cheqnet.net
Wed Aug 10 09:27:50 PDT 2005

Oreo's
Take our Nationwide Oreo Survey.
Receive a Free* Restaurant Gift card of your choice or a one year
supply of Oreo's. Hurry, limited time only!
http://click.topica.com/caadOvJbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/CookieSurvey

This string about the 1.5 HP pump has me asking what seems like a stupid
question, but....

750 watts equals one horse power but does a horse power equal 750 watts?

In one system, I have the largest 1HP SQ pump in a well about 400 feet
deep and operating on a 24 volt system with a VFX inverter (to make
things ore confusing, Grundfos has different sized 1HP pumps in the SQ
line).

In any case, when looking at the Bogart meter, about 100 amps comes out
of that 24 volt battery when the pump is up and running.  I have never
seen any pump operate on anything even close to 750 watts/HP, even when
on utility power.  Watts up with that, are these pumps just that
inefficient?

Thanks for your thoughts -- Kurt

Kurt Nelson
PO Box 309