NiCd Plate exposure? [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Mon Jul 4 17:24:06 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadHllbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Doug;

Thanks for the concern, but my "reconditioning" process is sorting through
the 20 cells, selecting those which will accept, retain and deliver a
charge to a load. I'm not doing any electrolyte replacement. I did have an
in-person conversation with Richard a few years back about the cadmium
problem when fiddling with the chemicals, and I think I'd stick with NiFe
cells if I was going to attempt that one.

So far I've charged each cell individually, charged the 14 that seem to
have enough electrolyte in them as a series pack, checked individual cell
voltages after a rest. I then discharged the pack at  C5 to 1.0v per cell
nominal. At the end of the discharge, there were 5 cells that seemed the
have very low terminal voltage, but I observed that  when the cells reached
the end of their charge, their terminal voltage dropped like a rock, so it
could be that if I had continued, they all would have become quite low.

Even with the five weak cells, I got 40 ah out of the 65 ah battery. Not
bad for the first cycle after sitting dead for ten plus years! Now I've
recharged the pack and am ready to discharge again at C5 to see if the
capacity (and those lazy cells) has improved.

Without any additional input from the Wrenches (guys?), I'm thinking I'll
put distilled water in the low electrolyte cells, charge them up and
similarly load test them. What have I got to lose, a few ounces of water
and some time? Even if they fail, I'll have learned something.

I probably wouldn't fool with these for an RE system, but since I owned my
coach, I've put six engine starting batteries in it, and even with regular
charging and the terminals disconnected, I can't seem to keep those 8D
batteries from going south on me. NiCd may be the solution to the problem.

Get $1000.00 Overnight! Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! Many Lenders are 100% Paperless!
Let The Wizard Find the right Lender for you!
http://click.topica.com/caadHk8bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/911PaydayAdvance

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com