NiCd Plate exposure? [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 4 13:38:47 PDT 2005

Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
http://click.topica.com/caadHlCbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Hey Sharkey, got some facts and some opinions for you. 15-20 years ago there
were a bunch of companies making a good living "recycling" big wet-cell NiCd
batteries like yours. For awhile the alternative energy industry was leaning
toward NiCads because they can last a long, long time. But then every one of
the recycling outfits got into serious trouble with the EPA over cadmium
dispersion and other toxic evils. (We're talking major fines, and jail time.
The sort of thing that had some folks jumping the state and trying to change
identities.) Turns out that cadmium is a particularly nasty element when
interacting with human beings. Makes lead poisoning look nice by comparison.
It's hard to even find a place to recycle wet-cell nicads anymore.

As I vaguely recall, the reconditioning process involved dumping the
potassium hydroxide electrolyte, rinsing the settled gunk out of the bottom
of the cell (that's where the cadmium gets loose), refilling with fresh
electrolyte, and running thru a few charge/discharge cycles.

This really isn't a good home project. You stand a better than fair chance
of;