Module Ratings--was: About the CEC [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Wed Apr 6 08:44:18 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Start your free trial today and pay only
$5.95 for shipping & handling.
http://click.topica.com/caadmZ3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Joel,

Who has the time, money, experience, and testing hardware to call
manufacturers STC ratings into question? Nobody so far. Why do you want the
press to grab a ripoff story? That's just another black eye for our
industry. In this age of module shortages, manufacturers can allow their
specs to widen and nobody can complain because where else are you going to
buy modules?

Honest ratings sound like an ideal marketing angle accept for the fact that
Mobile Solar tried it in the 1980's and almost went out of business (oh,
they did but ASE bought them). Maybe your time working for manufacturers has
made you sensitive to their needs, which is good--but the reason that
Germany is starting to get better product is that they finally figured out
how far off the previous product was. A production incentive requires that
you have a MUCH MORE ACCURATE understanding of a module's output, not the
other way around.

If we truly want to see production incentives, we are going to have to
require much tighter tolerances on our module performance data. Sorry Peter,
flash testing from the factory for individual modules may be helpful, but it
is not going to solve this problem.

The CEC is tasked with making sure that the State's ratepayer moneys are
properly spent. They are NOT simply a handout mechanism for the rebate. They
are accountable in the law to monitor the process and see that the money is
spent wisely (consumers get Watt they paid for).

While on the subject, how many people who read this list actually realize
that the +/-5% tolerance number you get from a manufacturer on typical
crystalline silicon product is measured before the module goes through Light
Induced Degradation (LID) of 2-4%. What this means is that a manufacture
with +/-5% tolerance is really +2%/-8% after one day in the field. However,
all their warranties are state with a minimum of 10% below rating on +/-5%
product. That is why most typical products today are 7-10% below specs. This
is a statistical certainty based on the binning process of modules and the
way our industry has operated for over 25 years.

Knowing all that mess, you can now accurately design a PV system. Now I ask
you--is this the way you think our industry should be allowed to continue to
operate?--Makes no sense to me.

Bill.