SPAM-LOW: Pics of PV in Germany [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 13 21:19:34 PST 2005

<x-flowed>
Hello Warren,

I guess until Michael gets you fixed up with RE-Markets the dialogue
continues in both groups.

1. Unemployment in eastern Germany is very high, but western Germany is as
busy as ever and unemployment is low.

2. I saw a lot of PV in Germany last July but not one poorly sited array.
Nor did I did not hear a single complaint. Almost every German likes the
greening of Germany. Some of the hard-core environmentalists feel threatened
by the conservatives in government but they also feel that PV will continue
to win majority support.

3. Solar grade silicon prices have not peaked. Most big silicon consumers
like Sharp and Intel get what they need, but there's no new capacity for
smaller PV companies trying to grow. Indian PV companies have a hard time
finding silicon to continue to grow. Pot scrap and ingot heads and tails are
no longer readily available.

4. There will be more PV modules available but no glut. Manufacturers are
doing a better job allocating output to maintain market share and
distribution channels. As always, money talks. Deep-pocket, repeat purchase
channels will get all the modules they can afford.

5. What PV plastics and aluminum have dropped in price? In addition, China
is buying a lot steel and cooper. Silicon and PV are also on their shopping
list.

In line with what you wrote earlier about avoiding in-fighting, Homepower
#106, page 10 editorial repeats the Solarbuzz analysis that "The U.S. solar
market appears defined by partisan rather than bipartisan characteristics."
Most Californians support pro-solar Swartzenhegger's plan for PV on new
homes, but some CalSEIA members oppose it for fear that housing developers
will get all the rebate money and be cut out of the action. I think that the
rising tide in PV will lift everyone's boat.