outback breakers [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at dankoffsolar.com
Tue Feb 22 11:21:38 PST 2005

Get a FREE* 5 Megapixel Digital Camera - yours to keep!
http://click.topica.com/caadazlbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/5 Megapixel Digital Camera Promotion

As an ETL integrator, I'm required to post in the shop all torque settings
for components in the OB systems.  Here's what I've compiled:

OBDC breakers
    1/4" stud = 35 lb/in
    5/16" stud = 55 lb/in
    175/250 = 230 lb/in

OBAC breakers = 20 lb/in
Sq D QOU = 45 lb/in

Bus bar small terminations:
    14-10   20 lb/in
    8       25 lb/in
    6-4     35 lb/in
    3       35 lb/in
    2       40 lb/in
Large terminations:
    14-10   35 lb/in
    8       40 lb/in
    6-4     45 lb/in
    3       50 lb/in
    2,1,1/0 50 lb/in

MX60 terminals = 30  lb/in

Inverter AC terminals = 30 lb/in
Inverter DC studs = 60+  lb/in
(OB admits 60 is ridiculously low, due to an older brass stud that they have
since upgraded but haven't released new specs to update....)

Most of these specs are either on the component itself or on the labels on
the back side of the box or cover.

A spec no-one seems to have is the torque for the 3/8" bolt on the shunt.
I've got lots o' specs for 3/8" bolts into steel, but not brass.  Any
suggestions out there?

And for my peeve of the day: is there anybody out there that can reliably
torque the cheesy small screws on the bus bars to 35 lb/in without
destroying the screw head?  OB used to provide Ilsco bus bars that were very
high quality.  Some time ago, they transitioned to cheap unlabelled bus bars
and I've found them to be rather aggravating in quality.

Phil Undercuffler ext.238
Technical Support
phil at dankoffsolar.com

Dankoff Solar Products

The Premier Manufacturer and Distributor of Solar Water Pumps, and
Wholesale Distributor of Solar Electric, Wind, and Solar Heating Equipment

888-396-6611 toll free
505-473-3800 phone
505-473-3830 fax
www.dankoffsolar.com