outback breakers [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Feb 22 13:27:54 PST 2005

Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadazobz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

I reviewed these values that Phil Undercuffler posted and they are
correct for our breakers and connections.  The breakers we provide are
manufactured by several different companies (Carling, Airpax, Heinemann,
CBI, Square-D etc.) and so there can be some differences on the torque
value for different brands of interchangeable parts.  I thought that all
of the breakers we offer were marked with the torque value  required -
but I pulled a bunch of them and found some which did not have the value
marked on them even though they had the proper UL markings.

As far as the stud type DC terminals on the inverter - they are marked
for 12 ft-lbs on the label.  We did include an additional label on the
terminal itself for a while which lowered the value to 60 lbs-in due to
a quality issue with the original machined brass posts.  We ended up
switching to a stainless steel insert post (easily identified by the
slot on the end) about a year ago which easily handles the 12 ft-lbs we
originally specified and the additional label was removed. So the
current recommended value is 12 ft-lbs.

As far as screws on the terminal busbars (such as the ground and AC hot
/ neutral "TBB" connections) we are working on getting them with better
quality screws to eliminate the problem of the heads stripping out.
Making sure that the screw driver being used is the right size makes a
abig difference - but I also have had problems with them as well.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com
19009 62nd Ave NE
Arlington WA 98223 USA
Tel 360 435 6030
Fax 360 435 6019
www.outbackpower.com

>> OBDC breakers
>>     1/4" stud = 35 lb/in
>>     5/16" stud = 55 lb/in
>>     175/250 = 230 lb/in
>>
>> OBAC breakers = 20 lb/in
>> Sq D QOU = 45 lb/in
>>
>> Bus bar small terminations:
>>     14-10   20 lb/in
>>     8       25 lb/in
>>     6-4     35 lb/in
>>     3       35 lb/in
>>     2       40 lb/in
>> Large terminations:
>>     14-10   35 lb/in
>>     8       40 lb/in
>>     6-4     45 lb/in
>>     3       50 lb/in
>>     2,1,1/0 50 lb/in
>>
>> MX60 terminals = 30  lb/in
>>
>> Inverter AC terminals = 30 lb/in
>>
>> Inverter DC studs = 60+  lb/in

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadazsbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Amazing Computer

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com