SPAM: DC heat? [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Mon Nov 21 13:57:49 PST 2005

FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DirectSatTV

Happy holidays all you listers...

I have been presented with an interesting customer design I want to
improve...

They have an S-load of wind (15 m/s... about 7kw most of the time) and are
looking at a Bergey 7.5 48 volt unit with a pair of VFX3648s and a string of
L-16s.  Very few AC loads - mostly they plan on powering an electric hot
water tank that will serve a radiant floor system (all yet to be built).

So - doesn't it mak a lot more sense to A) heat the water with DC elements
eliminating the conversion loss and or B) heat the slab directly with some
sort of DC resistance wire....

And if B, then C - where and what (I have seen AC floor heating grids - any
source for DC?)

The entire concept of "heating" with renewable energy (other than passive
solar) is so foreign to me that my brain locks up just going there.  BTW -
this is a birth center/health clinic in Bolivia.  Already planning on a
voltage relay to take out the heat circuit at low voltage.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.