DC heat? [RE-wrenches]

David Katz david at aeesolar.com
Mon Nov 21 14:28:02 PST 2005

FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DirectSatTV

Hi Geoff,
AC water heating elements work fine for DC.  You just have to contacts
that can switch the DC to turn the elements on and off.  You can get a
variety of 120 volt and 240 volt elements at anywhere from 500 to 4500
watts.  If you use a 240 volt element at a lower voltage, remember every
time you cut the voltage in 1/2, the wattage drops by 75%.
The same should be true for resistance wiring in a slab. The benefit of
heating water is that you have more control of  the slab heat. You can
pump the stored hot water through the slab when you need it.
David

David Katz
President, AEE Solar
formerly Alternative Energy Engineering